NOT UPDATED YET FOR 2019-2020
Chairperson: Cindy Mills
For students to have the experience of music research and writing articles
This Student Affiliate activity is for grades 1 through Post-12, collegiate up to the age of 27. There is no theory requirement for this competition, but students must be enrolled in SA. Any number of articles may be submitted by the local chair of the event.
Publication Contest Topics for 2015-2016
Grades 1 and 2 (75-300 words)
IA The Nutcracker Ballet
IB Meet the Orchestra
Grades 3 and 4 (250-550 words)
IIA “Peer Gynt Suite” by Grieg
IIB Characteristics of Romantic Era Music
Grades 5 and 6 (400-650 words)
IIIA Beethoven’s 5th Symphony
IIIB Characteristics of Contemporary Era Music
Grades 7 and 8 (550-750 words)
IVA Berlioz’ “Symphonie Fantastique”
IVB Baroque Concerto
Grades 9 and 10 (600-850 words)
VA Verdi and Wagner – The Giants of 19th Century Opera
VB Virtuoso Performers in the Past and Present
Grades 11 and 12 (700-950 words)
VIA Expressionist Opera
VIB Renaissance Music
Young Artist (Post 12th) (750-1050 words)
VII Music and Politics: Trace the interplay of protest and/or power in a chosen composition
Submittal of Articles
1. All articles must be typed, single-spaced. Parents/teachers may assist if needed for ease of judging. Only easily read print styles should be used. The suggested font suggested is Times New Roman with 12-point type. No illustrations, graphics, or borders will be accepted.
2. Each student should keep the original article or a copy since no articles are returned, and winning articles become a part of the permanent SA collection.
3. All articles should include a bibliography and discography citing the sources of information used in the paper.
4. Students should take care to avoid plagiarism by rephrasing information from their sources. Quotations are acceptable but must be short. Formal footnoting is acceptable but not required. The articles should be easy to read by others of the same age.
5. The student’s name should not appear on the article. No cover sheet should be used, nor should the article be in a folder of any kind.
6. Inclusion of the word count on the application is mandatory. The word count will consist of the title and body of the paper. The bibliography or discography is not included in the word count.
Judging and Awards
Each student will receive a rating sheet and a certificate of participation. A winning article may be chosen for each topic within a division. Articles may be recognized as outstanding. Cash awards from TMTEF will be given to the winning students, and will be published in the Texas Music Teacher. Both winning and outstanding articles will be published in a book available for sale at the TMTA Convention or TMTA office. Authors of the printed articles will receive a complimentary copy.
Publication forms are located on the TMTA website at http://www.tmta.org.